Trademarks are valuable and distinctive names, brands, logos, and slogans that identify the source or origin of products and services. We represent clients in the process of selecting trademarks, searching for potentially conflicting trademarks, registering and maintaining registration of trademarks in California, the United States, and around the world.
We represent clients in opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. We also assist our clients in protecting their marks from infringement, and defend them against claims of infringement by others.
Copyrights are exclusive rights granted to the authors of valuable creative works such as books, stories, paintings, songs, sound recordings, photographs, architectural drawings, movies and audiovisual works, software, and all kinds of creative works. We help clients with copyright issues in just about every imaginable field: musicians, visual artists, writers, software programmers, architects, agribusiness owners, engineers, and many others.
Trade secrets consist of information, methods, and processes that have value to a business by virtue of the fact that they are maintained as a secret by the business. Trade secrets may include customer lists and customer data, vendor lists, manufacturing methods and processes, financial data, and computer source code.
Our practice in the field of trade secrets includes such tasks as helping clients identify their trade secrets, helping clients prepare policies to protect their trade secrets, and representing clients in trade secret misappropriation litigation.
We assist clients in identifying and dealing with all kinds of legal issues that arise in doing business online. Our services include:
- Drafting privacy policies
- Identifying and addressing website copyright and trademark issues
- Identifying and managing Internet domain name issues
- Identifying and dealing with jurisdictional issues that arise for businesses that sell products and services in other states
- Representing clients in litigation and disputes arising from website use and electronic commerce
Davis & Leonard LLP has extensive experience litigating and trying cases in state and federal court. We handle a wide variety of types of cases, including:
- Breach of contract
- Unfair competition/false advertising
- Trademark, copyright, and patent infringement
- Trade secret misappropriation
- Business fraud and defamation
- Disputes over art and artist rights
- Defense against government regulatory actions
Our experience with litigation also gives us the knowledge and expertise to help clients take steps in their business to avoid the unnecessary risks and costs of litigation.
Unique legal issues arise in the development of works of art, music, and literature. We have represented both authors and artists and those who enter contracts with authors and artists in a wide variety of matters. Our services in this area include:
- Drafting art development, commission, and work made for hire agreements
- Drafting license agreements
- Negotiating artists’ rights in artworks, including moral rights, copyrights, rights of attribution, and resale royalty rights
- Evaluating and drafting publishing agreements
- Registration of copyrights in works of art
Our attorneys have been involved for many years in California Lawyers for the Arts, and have given many presentations on legal topics of interest to artists.